How does one start you might be wondering? well here are a few simply steps:
- Buy some rabbit manure from anyone that has rabbits for sale in the gambia. Most people will give it to you for free. With this rich manure you can mix it into the top few inches of the soil and directly plant your seeds or seedlings into the soil.
- Chicken manure is another option that is good and you can buy this from anyone rearing chickens. The downside of this manure is that you will have to compost it first. Composting it first will stop it from burning your seedlings and plants. The same method is used for cows, sheep and goats manure.
- Seeds, this you can get from the local markets or from the women gardeners around the country. Some of these gardeners grow organic vegetables and have true seeds. These true seeds are what you call heirloom seeds. Once you grow your vegetables you can save your own seeds for your next planting and they will always breed true meaning that the new plants / veggies will look just like the first ones.
- Make compost tea from your composted manure and feed your plants once a week. Compost tea will not burn your plants and it can help protect your plants from most garden pest simply by spraying it on the leafs.
- Find a market for your veggies before harvest time. This is easy because food is in high demand in the gambia.
- Harvest, sell, earn an income and improve your life from there.
Respect the soil, feed the soil and in return the soil will produce big healthy vegetables for you and your family. You are what you eat!
Give us a call for all your poultry and vegetable needs in the gambia. (220) 250-3030